I typically shop at Walmart because its a great way to find budget-friendly deals, especially regarding clearance items. However, whenever I pick up something from those clearance racks, I naturally wonder if you can return these discounted products in case they don’t meet my expectations or I change my mind.
So, can you return clearance items to Walmart?
Yes, you can return clearance items to Walmart. Walmart has no specific limitations on returning clearance items; the same rules apply to regular-priced products. As with most Walmart returns, you have a window of 90 days to return clearance items.
To make your return experience smoother, here are a few key points to remember:
- Keep your receipt; it’s required for returning clearance items.
- Ensure the item is in its original packaging and in good condition.
- Be prepared to present a valid ID when returning items in-store.
While returning clearance items to Walmart is fairly simple, there are a few things about the process you should know. Let’s get into some of the return policy requirements, the process of making your return, and limitations on certain product types.
What is Walmart’s Return Policy
As a savvy shopper, it’s essential to know Walmart’s return policy, especially when it comes to clearance items. This American multinational retail corporation allows customers to return items, including clearance items, under certain conditions.
Walmart’s standard return policy offers a generous 90-day return period, which is applied to both regular-priced and clearance products. This return policy remains consistent for in-store and online purchases.
While that is true, some items have shorter return periods. For example, certain electronics generally have to be returned within 30 days. Also, items purchased via third-party on Walmart’s website may be subject to their own policies and restrictions. We’ll get into these details later in this post.
How to Return Clearance Items To Walmart
Returning clearance items to Walmart is a straightforward process. I’ll walk you through the in-store return process, mail return process, online order returns, and returns without a receipt.
In-Store Return Process
To return clearance items purchased at a Walmart store, simply follow these steps:
- Bring the item, original packaging, and order number to your nearest Walmart store within 90 days of receipt.
- Visit the customer service desk and inform them that you’d like to return a clearance item.
- Provide the necessary information and follow the store representative’s instructions. This usually requires identification, a receipt, and your original payment method.
Mail Return Process
If you’d like to return clearance items by mail, do the following:
- Log in to your Walmart.com account and locate the order containing the item you want to return.
- Select the item and choose the “Return by Mail” option.
- Print the provided return shipping label and attach it to the package.
- Mail the package back to Walmart within 90 days of receipt (or within that items specific time window).
Just remember, with mail, you can still do the return as long as it’s postmarked within those 90 days. This gives you a bit of extra time with shipping logistics and getting your order ready.
Online Order Returns
For clearance items purchased online, the return process is similar to the mail return process:
- Visit Walmart.com and sign in to your account.
- Locate the order containing the item you want to return and select the “Return or Replace” option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the return process.
Return without Receipt
A receipt is important for all of the above return types, but things happen, and it’s totally possible to lose yours.
So, if you’ve lost your receipt, you may still be able to return clearance items to Walmart. However, the process may differ; you might receive store credit instead of a refund. That may not be ideal, and that’s why I always recommend scanning your receipts into the Walmart app; they can do a receipt lookup for you.
Returns Electronics Items On Clearance
Before purchasing electronics at Walmart, it’s essential to understand the return policy in case you need to make a return or exchange. It’s a bit different and has a much shorter window.
Walmart’s electronics return policy provides you with a 30-day window for returns on most items, including cameras, tablets, drones, and electric scooters. However, some exceptions apply.
For instance, you have only 14 days to return mobile phones, excluding Verizon postpaid ones that have a 30-day return period1. And sometimes, but not always, manufacturer restrictions may apply to certain products. That can limit what you can do and even shorten the window in some cases.
Remember that the electronics return policy may also vary during the holiday season. You’ll often see this during the Black Friday shopping season and all of Q4. So, for example, eligible purchases made on or after October 1st, 2023, can be returned through January 31st, 2024.
In addition to the return windows, you will need the original packaging and receipt for electronics, even if they are on clearance.
Special Exceptions and Exclusions
While Walmart’s return policy for clearance items aligns with regular-priced products, certain items have specific return windows and requirements.
Here are some exceptions and exclusions you should be mindful of:
- Prescription glasses and contacts: You can return them within 60 days of purchase, but make sure to have your receipt.
- Prescription medications: Returning these items can be tricky, as policies may vary depending on local and state laws. It is best to contact your local Walmart Pharmacy for guidance.
- Tires: Tires have different warranties and return policies, so check the specific terms for the tires you’ve purchased.
- Gas-powered vehicles: Returns of gas-powered items, such as ATVs and scooters, are often subject to a restocking fee and might have specific requirements for return.
- Garden Items – Items such as trees, perennials and shrubs have much longer return windows. Sometimes, up to 1 year. Flowers also have no specific return window, just a simple 100% garauntee.
How does Walmart’s clearance return policy compare to other retailers?
Clearance sections are a great option when looking to save money on your shopping. Let’s see how Walmart’s clearance return policy compares to other popular retailers so you can make the best choice for your shopping experience.
- Amazon: Amazon offers a flexible return policy depending on the item. Most products allow a 30-day return window, but this may vary depending on the item, seller, and whether it’s a gift.
- Best Buy: Best Buy has a tiered return policy based on a customer’s membership level. Standard customers have a 15-day return window, while Elite members get 30 days, and Elite Plus members get 45 days. Keep in mind that this policy also includes clearance and open-box items.
- Target: Target typically offers a 90-day return window for items like Walmart. Clearance items may have a shorter return window, but it’s important to check any item’s specifics, as the timeframes can vary.
As you can see, Walmart’s clearance return policy is similar to other major retailers, providing a reasonable return timeframe. As long as you have all the required documents and packaging, getting your refund or exchange started is pretty quick. They’ll honor the purchase price you made when doing exchanges as well.
The problems only arise when you don’t have either available. Walmart does try to keep its customers happy, and a the very least, you’ll be able to get store credit once the staff looks up your receipt in their system. Just remember to stick to the timelines for your specific clearance item, and you’ll be good!
Hi there, I’m JJ, and welcome To EverydayQuery! Founded in 2022, we created this project to be the most complete resource on the web for your everyday questions regarding retail, shopping experiences, and overall consumer questions. We’re a team of passionate consumers whose mission is to provide the best answers to your everyday questions.